4.29.2010

Today in Capitalist Tool: AMC Portable Typewriter (1950s)


Isn't she a beaut? According to the folks at the fabulous mytypewriter.com, she was imported from West Germany by the Associated Merchandising Corp in the 1950s.

 I have always thought portable typewriters were gorgeous: streamlined and light, ready to be picked up and toted along to wherever inspiration might strike. Most of my inspiration struck on my mom's Olympia SM (left), which had its special place on the second to last shelf of my brick-and-board bookshelves. I parked myself on the floor in front of its trusty grill and single-finger typed my way through high school.




 For some reason, whenever I saw a sleek, low-riding portable, like the Hermes Baby/Rocket (right), I saw the visage of an overly tanned, slightly sweaty, balding writer with a red scarf tied around his neck and a freshly rolled cigarette between his lips, typing away with furrowed brow. A Nabokov-meets-Marcello Mastroianni type fellow.

Here are some more gorgeous specimens.










The Smith-Corona Super Silent (1950s)


















1 comment:

  1. The color and design differences between the models over time are astounding--and beautiful. We have become accustomed to our sameness of computers all in a row in the store or the workplace. Reminds me of how excited everyone got with the "groundbreaking" design of the first imac.

    ReplyDelete